Under Alabama law, child custody is based on the best interest of the child, with numerous factors to be considered. Depending on the age and maturity of the child, the court can and will consider the wants and needs of the particular child. The court many appoint a Guardian Ad Litem (GAL) or you can hire a GAL. The GAL is an attorney who advocates for the best interest of the child and is non-partisan to either parent. The GAL is not meant to represent you.

At times, one parent relocates out of the area where the child lives and maintains primary custody of the child. This type of custody is the most likely dispute to lead to litigation. A parent's decision to relocate, and, also, relocate the child with them bring numerous issues which other custody disputes do not have. A proposed relocation of the child often affects establishing a primary residence and affects their relationship with the non-relocating parent and causes decision making issues for the child and other issues.

The attorneys at Clenney and Palmer LLC careful analyze each child custody case and provide their clients with experience insightful and honest advice as to the best approach in a very difficult situation.

In divorce cases, child custody is the most often issue that leads to litigation and the most stressful. We understand that. Our staff and attorneys understand divorce and child custody cases are very stressful on clients. We know if you are going through a divorce that includes child custody, we are here for you each step of the way. We keep you informed on your divorce or child custody case's process, which helps ease your mind. Therefore, we strive to comfort you during this confusing and stressful time.


If your ex-spouse is not complying with the original divorce order with regards to child custody, child support or child visitation, you are entitled to enforce or modify the court's order.

If your ex-spouse was awarded physical custody of the child and is withholding your ordered visitation days, you can file a contempt of court petition. If the court finds the ex-spouse in contempt, he or she can be ordered to pay your legal fees.

Call Today:  (334) 262-0400


The attorneys at Clenney and Palmer LLC recognize that every custody matter is unique. Our attorneys strive to properly counsel their clients in developing an extensive and complete parenting plan so that there are no future disputes. All custody agreements should address not only the actual custody plan, but also the parental decision making issues including education, medical care and authorization for activities.


Is it often necessary to modify child custody orders after the initial court judgement. As your child grows up, conditions and circumstances change, the original order can be vague, ambiguous or subject to multiple interpretations. You have the right to petition the court to clarify and/or change the terms of the original degree.